Sunday, April 30, 2006

Rockets and warm Northern California weekends

So I've been working on German localization of Lockdown.. Turns out it's harder than you would think to localize a plugin when the main app is not localized, however it's taking me much longer than normal to get this complete.

The reason? The weather. It's been a really beautiful warm weekend here in Northern California and we've had friends over for dinner, bar-b-que's etc so instead of pounding on objective-c code I've, well, had a bit of a life.

Take rockets.. My 4 year old son and I have been working on a little project to make water rockets out of 2 liter bottles of soda, this weekend was so nice that we were outside most of the time and spent a lot of time working on it.

The result? We've been flinging 2 liter soda bottles all over the neighborhood, I took a video of him launching one of the bottles and extracted a photo (below). In this photo I extracted from the video you can see the bottle mid flight and if you look closely you can see the water spray as it ejects water. I did the math (looking at the bottle as it traverses the frame) and it's at 25km/h (16 mph) and accelerating as it leaves the top of the frame (not bad for a used soda bottle and bicycle pump)



Pasted Graphic 2

No comments: