Sunday, October 21, 2007

Leopard stuff I can't discuss and quicken for mac stinks

I've been testing loghound.com plugins on Leopard these last several days -- Truth be told even though I've had access to the seed for almost a year I didn't spend much time in it.
Anyway I've had probably half a dozen "holy #$@#" moments in leopard -- Small things that aren't mentioned in the '300 items' Apple talks about (probably too small to make the cut) but to me it is this moment of brilliance.  I wish I could share a few of them right now, perhaps I'll do a blog post friday evening.   
Don't get me wrong, these are not 'big huge' suprises, it's just little things here and there that really put a smile on my face.
By the way, quicken for the mac Sucks -- No, sucks is too generous.  It's embarassing.  Apple -- On the PC side everyone is scared to make Financial apps because quicken (& microsoft money) have such a stranglehold.  On the mac side though it's pitiful how bad the choices are.  It's no wonder there are folks who dare tread into this market.
The 'killer feature' that Quicken has (in my books) is the online access and ability to do bill pay.  This is a must have for me.  Anyway after giving quicken mac a good month of testing I still can't find anything nice to say about it so I'm going back to quicken windows (using parallels)

3 comments:

Gary said...

John, I have to agree with you Quicken for Mac does indeed suck.

Quickbooks, Quicken whatever you call it these days its still the same.
There is definitely a void in this particular market.

Anonymous said...

You might want to consider mvelopes. It's a web-based solution, which is nice in that you can access it from anywhere. My super paranoid systems engineer husband says it's completely secure. It's got bill-pay built in (works for almost all accounts) and can pull in information from your bank account, credit card accounts, other accounts, etc. We have been using it for a year, and it has more than paid for its small monthly fee in its absolute awesomeness (he had already tried Quicken, Quickbooks, and Money and hated them all). Only snag is that it doesn't work in Safari (it's flash based), but it works great in firefox and camino. Good luck... www.mvelopes.com

Simon said...

It is even Worse in the UK, even on Windows. I think Quicken was dropped fully, and Money is a year behind the US version.

Checkout Moneydance. Java based, Mac, Windows or Linux. Has the online stuff, not good for the UK again (what isn't), but I don't know about bill pay. I do all my accounts online, then import the .qif, or even txt, files to Moneydance at reconcile time.

MYOB looked good, but I was so happy with Moneydance I dropped the cash for it (cheap as chips too) and never gave it a chance.